Urgent.News

One page, thousands of outlets. See who else covered it.

Editions

World

Trump says no Iran talks planned, claims Hormuz 'new US territory'

WASHINGTON — U.S. President Donald Trump said Tuesday that no talks with Iran are under way or scheduled, as he posted a map showing the Strait of Hormuz as a new American territory in a fresh jibe at Tehran. Trump has been pressing his threat to claim sovereignty over the crucial energy waterway as the nearly six-month-old Iran war grinds on with little sign of resolution. Trump's envoy and…

Trump says no Iran talks planned, claims Hormuz 'new US territory'

On Tuesday, U.S. President Donald Trump declared that no talks with Iran are currently underway or planned. In a provocative move, he posted a map on his Truth Social network indicating the Strait of Hormuz as a new American territory, intensifying his criticism of Tehran. The ongoing Iran conflict, now in its sixth month, shows little progress towards resolution.

Trump's son-in-law, Jared Kushner, had earlier claimed on Monday that the U.S. and Iran were engaged in "very positive and active conversations." However, Trump contradicted this statement, asserting that there are no ongoing talks or scheduled discussions with Iran. He reiterated that the naval blockade remains in full force and effect, and the Hormuz Strait is operational with all water mines cleared.

While U.S. sources acknowledged positive discussions with the Iranians, they noted that Trump delayed engagement until Iran demonstrated readiness to negotiate. Trump had earlier posted a map on Truth Social, marking the Strait of Hormuz as a newly claimed American territory, further escalating tensions with Iran.

Written by urgent.news from The Korea Times's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

This story

This is one outlet's version. Read the fullest account.

Read the original at koreatimes.co.kr →

More in World

More from Tuesday 18 August →