Urgent.News

One page, thousands of outlets. See who else covered it.

Editions

World

Trump says no Iran talks planned, claims Hormuz 'new US territory'

WASHINGTON — U.S. President Donald Trump said Tuesday that no talks with Iran are under way or scheduled, as he posted a map showing the Strait of Hormuz as a new American territory in a fresh jibe at Tehran. Trump has been pressing his threat to claim sovereignty over the crucial energy waterway as the nearly six-month-old Iran war grinds on with little sign of resolution. Trump's envoy and…

Trump says no Iran talks planned, claims Hormuz 'new US territory'

On Tuesday, U.S. President Donald Trump asserted that no discussions with Iran are currently ongoing or planned, while simultaneously designating the Strait of Hormuz as a newly claimed American territory. The dispute stems from the ongoing Iran conflict, which has persisted for nearly six months with minimal progress towards resolution.

Jared Kushner, Trump's son-in-law, had claimed on Monday that the United States and Iran were engaging in "very positive and active conversations," but the president dismissed these assertions. According to Trump, there are no ongoing talks or scheduled conversations with the Islamic Republic of Iran. He further emphasized the ongoing naval blockade and the removal or detonation of all water mines in the Strait of Hormuz, which is currently open and operating.

While sources reported that there had been positive discussions with the Iranians, Trump decided to wait for Iran to make a deal before engaging further. Earlier on Tuesday, Trump shared a map on his Truth Social platform, highlighting the Strait of Hormuz as a new American territory.

Written by urgent.news from The Korea Times's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

This story

This is one outlet's version. Read the fullest account.

Read the original at koreatimes.co.kr →

More in World

More from Tuesday 18 August →