Urgent.News

One page, thousands of outlets. See who else covered it.

Editions

World

Trump labels Strait of Hormuz ‘US territory’ as Iran says Israel is biggest obstacle to negotiations

Trump labels Strait of Hormuz ‘US territory’ as Iran says Israel is biggest obstacle to negotiations Submitted by Elis Gjevori on Tue, 08/18/2026 - 13:21 Tehran says the waterway will remain closed until Washington lifts its blockade and fulfils an interim agreement On 15 August 2026, Iran rejected the US president’s threat to declare the Strait of Hormuz part of US territory, saying the crucial…

On August 18, 2026, US President Donald Trump declared the Strait of Hormuz as part of US territory, amid escalating tensions with Iran. The strategic waterway, a critical energy corridor, had been blockaded by Iran, leading to a crisis in global shipping. Trump posted a map of the strait on his social media platform, Truth Social, with the caption "New US Territory," amplifying his frustration over Iran's failure to comply with his demands.

In response, Iranian officials rejected Trump's claim, stating that the strait would remain closed until Washington lifted its blockade, fulfilled an interim agreement, and released frozen Iranian assets. Iranian parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf emphasized that the strait would not reopen until all US commitments were met, including the lifting of sanctions and military operations.

Meanwhile, Israel emerged as the primary obstacle to negotiations, blocking over 90% of traffic through the strait. In a separate development, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi accused Israel of hindering the implementation of the memorandum of understanding and derailing efforts to reach a peaceful resolution.

Written by urgent.news from Middle East Eye's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

Also reported by 9 other outlets

Read the original at middleeasteye.net →

More in World

4 Injured in Stun Grenade Accident at Moscow Region School

Regional prosecutors said they were investigating the incident, which took place in the city of Shchyolkovo, located northeast of Moscow.

  • Four people injured in stun grenade accident during school drill.
  • Incident occurred in Shchyolkovo, northeast of Moscow.
  • Regional health ministry reports three injured hospitalized.

More from Tuesday 18 August →