Urgent.News

One page, thousands of outlets. See who else covered it.

Editions

World

Road crashes cost Malaysia up to RM30b a year, but human cost of 18 daily deaths is far greater, says minister

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 17 — Malaysia incurs up to RM30 billion in socio-economic losses each year due to road accidents...

Road crashes cost Malaysia up to RM30b a year, but human cost of 18 daily deaths is far greater, says minister

Malaysia suffers up to RM30 billion in annual socio-economic losses due to road accidents, according to Works Minister Dato Sri Alexander Nanta Linggi. The figure takes into account the economic impact of fatalities, including lost productivity, income, treatment expenses, and the effect on families and society as a whole. However, Linggi emphasized that the loss of life cannot be quantified in monetary terms.

At a recent Cabinet Committee on Road Safety and Congestion meeting, he highlighted that 6,537 lives were lost in road accidents last year, averaging 18 deaths per day. The majority of these accidents, 80.6%, were attributed to human error, indicating that road safety is a collective responsibility. Linggi stressed the need for a comprehensive approach, involving education, enforcement, technology, and improved infrastructure.

The Works Ministry aims to build and maintain safer roads to reduce risks and minimize human error, rather than merely repairing roads after accidents. Linggi emphasized that the ultimate cost of road tragedies extends beyond economic figures, as it represents the irreplaceable loss of loved ones. He emphasized that every single life saved is a victory that benefits the entire population.

Written by urgent.news from Malay Mail's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

This story

This is one outlet's version. Read the fullest account.

Read the original at malaymail.com →

More in World

Nigeria Opposition Hopefuls Ally, but Accord Backs Tinubu

Nigeria · POLITICS Key Facts —The meeting: Three presidential hopefuls met in Port Harcourt in mid-August 2026. They come from Accord, the African Action Congress and the Social Democratic Party.

  • Three Nigerian presidential hopefuls formed a temporary alliance in August 2026.
  • Olawepo-Hashim's candidacy was rejected by his own party, which backed President Tinubu.

More from Monday 17 August →