Urgent.News

One page, thousands of outlets. See who else covered it.

Editions

World

Road crashes cost Malaysia up to RM30b a year, but human cost of 18 daily deaths is far greater, says minister

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 17 — Malaysia incurs up to RM30 billion in socio-economic losses each year due to road accidents...

Road crashes cost Malaysia up to RM30b a year, but human cost of 18 daily deaths is far greater, says minister

Malaysia experiences up to RM30 billion in socio-economic losses annually due to road accidents, according to Works Minister Dato Sri Alexander Nanta Linggi. The Minister emphasized that the economic value extends beyond the risks associated with fatalities, including loss of productivity, income, treatment costs, and the impact on families and society. Linggi noted that the loss of life cannot be quantified in monetary terms.

Last year, road accidents claimed 6,537 lives, averaging 18 deaths per day. Of these accidents, 80.6 percent were attributed to human factors. Linggi stressed that addressing road safety requires a comprehensive approach that includes education, enforcement, technology, and safer infrastructure. He clarified that the responsibility lies not just on a single ministry but on a collaborative effort.

The Works Ministry aims to prevent accidents rather than simply repairing roads after they occur. Linggi emphasized the importance of building safer roads to minimize risks and human error. He strongly reiterated that the loss of life, particularly the 18 deaths per day, is far more devastating than any economic cost. Every life saved represents a significant victory for the people, according to the Minister.

Written by urgent.news from Malay Mail's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

Also reported by 1 other outlet

Read the original at malaymail.com →

More in World

Nigeria Opposition Hopefuls Ally, but Accord Backs Tinubu

Nigeria · POLITICS Key Facts —The meeting: Three presidential hopefuls met in Port Harcourt in mid-August 2026. They come from Accord, the African Action Congress and the Social Democratic Party.

  • Three Nigerian presidential hopefuls formed a temporary alliance in August 2026.
  • Olawepo-Hashim's candidacy was rejected by his own party, which backed President Tinubu.

More from Monday 17 August →