Urgent.News

What's breaking now, across thousands of outlets.

World

The gang boss accused of killing rapper Tupac blames his nephew in murder trial

The man accused in the murder trial of rapper Tupac Shakur says it was his nephew that fired the fatal shots in the 1996 drive-by. It's the latest development in the biggest case in Las Vegas history. Details by Charlotte Lam.

The gang boss accused of killing rapper Tupac blames his nephew in murder trial

Duane "Keffe D" Davis, accused of orchestrating the 1996 murder of rapper Tupac Shakur, told police in 2008 that his nephew fired the fatal shots. Davis now faces trial in Las Vegas, charged with murder with a deadly weapon. Prosecutors allege that Davis ordered the shooting and supplied the weapon to further his criminal conduct.

In a 2008 police interview played for jurors, Davis recounted how his gun was passed to his nephew, Orlando Anderson, who opened fire on Shakur after a fight between them earlier that day. However, Anderson died before the interview, denying any involvement in Shakur's murder. The case hinges on Davis' testimonies from the 2008 interview and his 2019 memoir, Compton Street Legend.

Prosecutors claim Davis was motivated by anger after Anderson's involvement in the fight, stating that he was "mad" and that Anderson's actions provided a "green light" to kill Shakur. Davis' lawyer argues that Davis' previous statements should not be trusted, pointing out the unreliability of prosecution witnesses and issues with the police investigation.

Written by urgent.news from KahawaTungu's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

This story

This is one outlet's version. Read the fullest account.

Read the original at france24.com →

More in World

More from Saturday 22 August →