Urgent.News

What's breaking now, across thousands of outlets.

Editions

World

Iran president says time to end war while in position of strength

Iran president says time to end war while in position of strength

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian stated on Friday that it was time to end the ongoing Middle East war with the United States, as Iran appeared to be in a stronger position compared to Washington. The conflict, initiated by the US and Israel in February, remains stalemate, with Teheran maintaining partial closure of the key Strait of Hormuz and Washington enforcing a naval counter-blockade.

Pezeshkian made these remarks during a meeting with doctors, emphasizing Iran's victory and the unjust actions of the US against Iranian institutions. Pezeshkian also defended a memorandum of understanding signed with the US in June, asserting that it did not represent a defeat for Iran, as all commitments pertain to the other side.

The Iranian Supreme Leader, Mohammad Kazem Shariatmadari, had previously approved the deal despite having differing opinions. Hardline lawmakers in Iran's parliament have criticized the government for conceding to the US, particularly regarding the reopening of the strategic Hormuz Strait. US sanctions have been heavily criticized by Iran, with the country's foreign ministry accusing the US of economic terrorism and crimes against humanity.

US Treasury Secretary, Scott Bessent, vowed to "collapse" the Iranian regime with the economic sanctions, indicating that the Trump administration is transitioning from military to economic pressure on Iran. China also condemned Washington's economic plan, asserting that sanctions and pressure would not resolve the conflict and calling for responsible measures and diplomatic solutions.

Chinese President Xi Jinping is scheduled to visit the White House on September 24, with discussions on Iran expected to be a topic of conversation. US Treasury chief Bessent assured that the economic measures would be detailed in a press conference the following Monday, while other senior Iranian officials criticized the US sanctions plan, arguing that it is a diversion from America's own financial crisis.

Written by urgent.news from New Straits Times's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

This story

This is one outlet's version. Read the fullest account.

Read the original at channelnewsasia.com →

More in World

ANC-SACP rift widens

As tensions rise between the SACP and the ANC ahead of local government elections, SACP general secretary Solly Mapaila has strongly criticised the governing party's neoliberal policies and coalition…

Five years after the fall of Kabul, 'war on terror' ghosts have come home

Five years after the fall of Kabul, 'war on terror' ghosts have come home Submitted by Moazzam Begg on Thu, 08/20/2026 - 16:32 From Bagram to Camp Bucca, the West's brutal carceral laboratories…

  • Five years after Kabul's fall, war on terror remnants resurface.
  • Guantanamo detainees protest outside White House in 2023.
  • Peaceful Kabul transition contrasts with 1975 Saigon panic.

More from Friday 21 August →