Urgent.News

One page, thousands of outlets. See who else covered it.

Editions

World

IDF confirms soldiers numbered Palestinian suspects in West Bank op., says 'lessons were drawn'

The IDF told Army Radio that commanders had explained "the seriousness of the act" to the soldiers, and "lessons were drawn from the matter."

On Monday, the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) conducted a military operation in the West Bank village of Kabatiya, near Jenin. During the raid, soldiers wrote numbers on the bodies of Palestinian suspects, according to Army Radio. The IDF later clarified that the numbers were used to identify suspects during interrogation as part of the operation. Following the incident, commanders explained that the soldiers were reprimanded and that lessons were learned from the situation.

The operation resulted in the detention of two terrorists who were suspected of planning and promoting terrorist attacks against Israeli citizens and the IDF. The IDF announced the arrests and the raid of over 100 houses in the area. However, the incident has drawn significant criticism towards the military.

Defense Minister Israel Katz addressed the controversy, stating that the military would present a plan for transferring authority within two weeks. He emphasized that the decision was a significant step towards implementing Israeli sovereignty in the West Bank. National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir expressed his support for the plan, stating that it was a crucial measure to ensure the implementation of the coalition agreement, which had been previously violated.

Written by urgent.news from Jerusalem Post's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

This story

This is one outlet's version. Read the fullest account.

Read the original at jpost.com →

More in World

More from Tuesday 18 August →