31 Chinese nationals caught after illegally entering Korea via Taean coast
More than 30 Chinese nationals have been caught after illegally entering Korea via the west coast in Taean over the past eight years, the Coast Guard said Monday. From September 2019 through May this year, 31 Chinese nationals were apprehended in waters off Taean County or its beaches, more than 100 kilometers southwest of Seoul, Coast Guard officials said. In September 2019, three Chinese…
Over the past eight years, more than 30 Chinese nationals have been apprehended for illegally entering South Korea via the Taean coast, according to the Korean Coast Guard. From September 2019 to May 2023, 31 Chinese nationals were caught in the waters off Taean County or its beaches, located over 100 kilometers southwest of Seoul.
In September 2019, three Chinese nationals were initially detected near a Taean beach while traveling in a rubber boat. Eight more were apprehended last year after boarding a 4.3-meter-long boat and arriving in Taean County. The most recent incident occurred on May 25, 2023, when Dong Guangping, a Chinese dissident, was caught entering the country illegally through waters off Taean, marking the seventh attempt by Chinese nationals along the coast since late 2019.
Dong, who had been imprisoned multiple times in China, was eventually permitted to depart Korea. The New York Times reported that he subsequently relocated to Canada in June.
According to the Coast Guard, 25 of the 31 individuals had previously been employed in South Korea. The majority of the detainees were subsequently deported due to their unlawful stays and attempts to enter the country.
Written by urgent.news from The Korea Times's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.
This story
This is one outlet's version. Read the fullest account.