31 Chinese nationals caught after illegally entering Korea via Taean coast
More than 30 Chinese nationals have been caught after illegally entering Korea via the west coast in Taean over the past eight years, the Coast Guard said Monday. From September 2019 through May this year, 31 Chinese nationals were apprehended in waters off Taean County or its beaches, more than 100 kilometers southwest of Seoul, Coast Guard officials said. In September 2019, three Chinese…
Over the past eight years, more than 30 Chinese nationals have been apprehended for illegally entering South Korea through the Taean coast, according to the Coast Guard. From September 2019 to May 2023, 31 Chinese nationals were caught in waters off Taean County or its beaches, located about 100 kilometers southwest of Seoul. The most recent incident occurred on May 25, when Chinese dissident Dong Guangping was intercepted while attempting to illegally enter the country via the Taean waters, marking the seventh such attempt by Chinese nationals along the coast since late 2019.
Dong, who has been imprisoned multiple times in China, was eventually permitted to leave South Korea. Of the 31 individuals apprehended, 25 had previously worked in South Korea, and most were deported for illegal stays and attempted unlawful entries.
Brief written by urgent.news from The Korea Times's own syndicated text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.