Landslide at Guinea landfill kills at least 30
Authorities say a mountainous heap of refuse has collapsed following heavy rain Sunday morning, local time, with the landslide swamping nearby houses.
At least 30 people lost their lives in a landslide caused by heavy rain at a landfill in Conakry, Guinea's capital, on Sunday morning. A massive mound of waste collapsed, engulfing nearby houses. Authorities are working diligently to locate any survivors buried beneath the debris and recover the deceased bodies. Six individuals sustained serious injuries in the incident, which occurred around 2:00 am in the Dar-es-salam neighborhood on the outskirts of the capital.
Prime Minister Amadou Oury Bah visited the scene, witnessing search-and-rescue operations carried out by excavators. The government has allocated significant resources to search efforts and to provide medical assistance to the wounded and support to those affected by the tragedy. Neighbourhood leader Lancine Sylla expressed his fears about the potential loss of life, stating that he believed many had perished in the collapse.
Former Prime Minister Cellou Dalein Diallo, who is currently in exile abroad, described the incident as "a tragedy that plunges us into dismay," emphasizing the distressing timing given that the dump's closure had been announced for that Sunday. The opposition figure called for transparency from authorities regarding the cause of the disaster and urged them to draw all necessary conclusions.
In recent days, the government had ordered the evacuation of residents living near the landfill due to concerns about the risk of a collapse. Guinea is currently governed by General Mamadi Doumbouya, who seized power in a coup in 2021 and was subsequently elected president in December 2025.
Written by urgent.news from ABC News AU's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.
This story
This is one outlet's version. Read the fullest account.
- A landslide at a landfill in the capital of Guinea kills at least 22 people, officials say winnipegfreepress.com
- Landslide at Guinea landfill kills 30, government says sabcnews.com
- Landslide at Guinea landfill kills 30, government says dailymaverick.co.za
- Landslide at Guinea landfill kills 30, government says hindustantimes.com
- Guinea rubbish landfill collapse kills 30 bbc.co.uk
- Guinea landfill collapse kills 30 in Conakry after heavy rain gulfnews.com
- Guinea: Garbage collapse at landfill kills dozens dw.com
- At least 22 people killed in a landslide in capital of Guinea, officials say apnews.com