Guinea rubbish landfill collapse kills 30
A mound of rubbish at a major waste site buried several homes in the capital, the government says.
A massive landfill in Conakry, Guinea's capital, collapsed early Saturday morning, claiming at least 30 lives and injuring 22 others, including six critically. The disaster struck the Dar-es-Salam neighborhood following heavy overnight rain. Military forces and other personnel have been mobilized to search for survivors amidst the debris.
Eyewitnesses reported the harrowing sight of rescuers using excavators to sift through the mounds of waste. One distraught mother shared her tragic loss, stating that all five of her children perished in the catastrophe. Concerns are mounting that the final death toll could be higher. Guinea's Prime Minister Mamadou Oury Bah toured the site to gauge the extent of the crisis and coordinate the rescue operations.
Neighbourhood leader Lancine Sylla had previously expressed grave concerns, warning of a dire mortality count. So far, rescue teams have recovered 18 bodies, which were promptly transported to the morgue. In a chilling parallel, another landslide at the same site claimed 10 lives in 2017.
Written by urgent.news from BBC World's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.
This story
This is one outlet's version. Read the fullest account.
- A landslide at a landfill in the capital of Guinea kills at least 22 people, officials say winnipegfreepress.com
- Landslide at Guinea landfill kills 30, government says hindustantimes.com
- Guinea rubbish landfill collapse kills 30 bbc.co.uk
- Guinea landfill collapse kills 30 in Conakry after heavy rain gulfnews.com
- Guinea: Garbage collapse at landfill kills dozens dw.com
- At least 22 people killed in a landslide in capital of Guinea, officials say apnews.com
- Landfill collapse kills at least 30 in Guinea as rescuers search for survivors scmp.com
- Landfill collapse in Guinea kills at least 30 people aljazeera.com