Urgent.News

What's breaking now, across thousands of outlets.

World

Dozens of co-ordinated arson attacks hit southern Thailand

No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks, which the military said "aimed at creating unrest".

Dozens of co-ordinated arson attacks hit southern Thailand

An overnight curfew was imposed in Narathiwat province, Thailand, following a series of coordinated arson attacks across the country's insurgency-ridden southern region. The Thai military reported over 50 such incidents, causing injuries to at least two individuals. Targets included a government office, a convenience store, and a stolen vehicle.

The attacks, which occurred between 8 PM local time and midnight on Saturday, were primarily concentrated in Narathiwat, Yala, and Pattani provinces. Telecommunication towers were also set ablaze in various locations, raising security concerns among residents. Authorities have not yet identified the perpetrators responsible for the arson attacks.

This surge in violence follows a low-level conflict that has persisted since 2004, characterized by clashes between Muslim-majority rebels and Buddhist-majority Thai officials over autonomy. Over 7,000 people have lost their lives in the ensuing violence. Despite peace talks initiated in 2013, the conflict remains unresolved due to internal discord and shifting political landscapes in Bangkok.

Earlier this year, a gun and bomb attack at a checkpoint in Narathiwat resulted in the deaths of five soldiers, prompting the postponement of a planned dialogue process. Thai Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul and his cabinet are set to visit Hat Yai, a city in southern Songkhla province, next week to address investment, flooding prevention, and security matters.

Written by urgent.news from BBC World's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

This story

This is one outlet's version. Read the fullest account.

Read the original at bbc.co.uk →

More in World

Ukraine: Zelenskyy rejects wartime elections

The Ukrainian president says wartime elections, as called for by the ex-defense minister, could "split Ukraine." He also said Russia was planning to mobilize hundreds of thousands of troops after…

  • Zelenskyy rejects wartime elections amid Russian invasion
  • Proposed by ex-Defense Minister Mykhailo Fedorov
  • Elections suspended under martial law

Ukraine: Zelenskyy rejects wartime elections

The Ukrainian president says wartime elections, as called for by the ex-defense minister, could "split Ukraine." He also said Russia was planning to mobilize hundreds of thousands of troops after September polls there.

More from Sunday 23 August →