Urgent.News

What's breaking now, across thousands of outlets.

World

Dozens of attacks in Thailand's restive south leave 3 wounded

Dozens of attacks in Thailand's restive south leave 3 wounded

Dozens of coordinated arson and incendiary attacks in Thailand's troubled south left at least three people wounded and caused damage to government property, according to the military. Multiple local government offices and several vehicles were targeted in the 51 attacks, with firefighters battling burning tyres and flames inside a 7-Eleven store.

Police stopped motorists for security checks, according to footage from local broadcaster Thai PBS. These incidents occurred between 8pm and midnight on Saturday in various southern border provinces, primarily Narathiwat, where three civilians were injured, and a curfew was imposed. Similar attacks were reported in Yala and Pattani provinces.

Since 2004, over 7,000 people have died in a low-level conflict in the southernmost provinces of Buddhist-majority Thailand, as Muslim-majority rebels fight for greater autonomy. No group has claimed responsibility for Saturday's attacks. Two women and a man were injured in a roadside bombing in Narathiwat, where they were hospitalized in stable condition.

Narathiwat Governor Boonchuay Homyamyen said authorities were investigating the attack sites, including a local government office and telecommunications towers. A curfew was announced for Narathiwat from Saturday night until 6am on Sunday. The military received intelligence reports about potential attacks on local offices over two months, and officials warned security agencies ahead of the assaults.

Insurgents frequently target security officials and government property in the region, including during official visits. Last month, five soldiers were killed in a shooting and bomb attack at a checkpoint in Narathiwat. Thai Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul and his cabinet are scheduled to visit Hat Yai, southern Songkhla province, next week to discuss various projects and security issues.

Written by urgent.news from Gulf News's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

Also reported by 3 other outlets

Read the original at gulfnews.com →

More in World

Is Business Mogul Haji Isam in Charge of Wildfire Handling? What Palace Says

Prabowo reportedly asked Haji Isam to lead the handling of wildfires in Kalimantan. Presidential Palace addressed the report.

  • President Prabowo Subianto did NOT appoint Haji Isam as wildfire coordinator.
  • Haji Isam is Presidential Special Envoy for Energy, Food, and Infrastructure.
  • Central government mobilized officials for disaster management across regions.

Iran Security Chief Makes Fun of US Military

Iranian Supreme National Security Council Secretary Mohsen Rezaei has revealed that the ongoing war with the United States has effectively … Read More The post Iran Security Chief Makes Fun of US Military appeared first on ProPakistani .

More from Sunday 23 August →