Urgent.News

What's breaking now, across thousands of outlets.

World

Nigeria: Jihadis kidnap dozens during Friday prayers

Witnesses said men carrying guns and machetes set upon two villages in Niger State. Many details about the attack have yet to be confirmed by police.

In recent attacks across several villages in Nigeria’s central Niger State, more than 100 people were abducted, according to police and residents. The assailants, dressed in military-style attire, struck communities in the Borgu Local Government Area following Friday prayers. Police spokesman Wasiu Abiodun reported that over 40 victims also perished in the assaults on Dekara, Gidan Zana, Sabon Gida, and Masaka villages.

Authorities believe the attackers are likely bandits, criminal gangs notorious for kidnapping and demanding ransom throughout Nigeria. These incidents are distinct from a previous wave of abductions in the same region earlier this month, when police rescued 145 individuals from four villages in Borgu – Konkoso, Kasuwan-Daji, Tungan-Makeri, and Shafachi.

Altogether, authorities have rescued 308 individuals in a major security operation, including more than 160 abductees from neighboring Kwara State. The ongoing security challenges in Niger State and north central Nigeria are underscored by these attacks, as armed groups exploit remote forests and a weak security presence to conduct raids and kidnappings.

The Borgu area has been associated with the activities of jihadist groups operating in north-western Nigeria and the border region. Local officials warn that recent jihadist fighters have entered communities, imposing religious restrictions. The latest attacks have heightened fears that some gunmen might be attempting to recruit young people.

The security situation in Borgu has been particularly dire, with more than 20 people killed in the local government area last week. In November 2025, gunmen abducted over 200 pupils from a school in Papiri, releasing them about a month later. Despite numerous military and police operations, large parts of Niger State remain inaccessible to security forces, enabling armed groups to operate from forested areas and launch attacks on isolated communities.

Written by urgent.news from MyJoyOnline Ghana's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

This story

This is one outlet's version. Read the fullest account.

Read the original at dw.com →

More in World

Chaos rock Farouk Kibet’s event over political differences with Joel Wamalwa

Chaos rocked Farouk Kibet’s event after he publicly reprimanded Lake Victoria North Water Works Development Agency chief executive officer Joel Wamalwa over his involvement in local politics.

  • Joel Wamalwa reprimanded by Farouk Kibet for involvement in local politics.
  • Kibet criticized Wamalwa and team, warning against interfering with local leadership.
  • Political tension transformed event into a political spectacle ahead of 2027 General Election.

Federal Judge Strikes Down Trump’s 75-Country Visa Ban

This January, Secretary of State Marco Rubio directed consular officers to refuse to process immigration visas for people from 75 countries because, he said, those immigrants would be more likely than…

  • Federal judge overturns Trump's 75-country visa ban on 21 August
  • Judge Jeannette Vargas rules policy violates Immigration and Nationality Act

More from Saturday 22 August →