Dozens of people abducted in attacks on villages in Nigeria, police say
More than 100 people have been abducted in attacks on several villages in Nigeria’s central Niger State, police and residents have told the BBC. The attackers, who were reportedly wearing military-style clothing, targeted communities in the Borgu Local Government Area after Fridayprayers. Police spokesman Wasiu Abiodun said more than 40 people were also killed in [...] The post Dozens of people…
Over 100 individuals were abducted in assaults on multiple villages within Nigeria's central Niger State, according to both police and locals. The assailants, sporting military-style attire, focused on communities in the Borgu Local Government Area following Friday prayers. Police representative Wasiu Abiodun disclosed that more than 40 individuals were killed during the attacks on Dekara, Gidan Zana, Sabon Gida, and Masaka villages.
Authorities believe the perpetrators to be bandits – criminal collectives engaged in kidnapping and ransom-taking across various parts of Nigeria. Neighbors recounted that the gunmen entered Dekara post-prayers, rounded up residents, and spirited them away into nearby forests before advancing to adjacent villages. Jafar Muhammad Shetiman Borgu, a local council member, verified the attacks to the BBC.
These incidents transpire as armed factions have ramped up operations in the remote Borgu region, which adjoins Kebbi and Kwara states, along with Benin. The current assaults are distinct from earlier abductions in the same locale. In mid-month, police announced the rescue of 145 people from kidnappings in four Borgu villages – Konkoso, Kasuwan-Daji, Tungan-Makeri, and Shafachi.
Altogether, authorities claimed to have liberated 308 individuals in a broad security initiative, including over 160 persons taken in neighboring Kwara State. The events underscore the persistent security hurdles in Niger State and north-central Nigeria, where armed factions have capitalized on remote forests and lax security to orchestrate raids and kidnappings.
The Borgu region has also been associated with the activities of militant groups active in northern Nigeria and across the border area. Officials note Jihadist fighters have recently infiltrated communities, enforcing religious regulations. Shetiman expressed apprehension that some of the gunmen might be attempting to enlist young recruits.
The security predicament remains dire in Borgu. Last week, more than 20 people lost their lives in the local government, as per local authorities. In November 2025, gunmen abducted over 200 schoolchildren from Papiri, a village in Niger State. The children were liberated roughly a month later. Despite multiple military and police interventions, vast swathes of Niger State remain inaccessible to security forces, permitting armed groups to exploit forested regions and carry out attacks on secluded communities. According to BBC News, the story originally surfaced on Kahawatungu.
Written by urgent.news from KahawaTungu's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.
This story
This is one outlet's version. Read the fullest account.
- Scores of people kidnapped from a mosque as armed groups attacked multiple villages in Nigeria apnews.com
- Scores of people kidnapped from a mosque as armed groups attacked multiple villages in Nigeria winnipegfreepress.com
- Dozens of people abducted in attacks on villages in Nigeria, police say myjoyonline.com
- Nigeria: Jihadis kidnap dozens during Friday prayers dw.com
- 'Scores of people' kidnapped from mosque in Nigeria news.sky.com