Urgent.News

What's breaking now, across thousands of outlets.

World

Father leaves 7-year-old son alone on Mount Fuji to continue hike, reports say

The man had taken his two boys on the trip but is said to have left one behind when he got tired.

Father leaves 7-year-old son alone on Mount Fuji to continue hike, reports say

A Japanese father left his seven-year-old son alone for several hours while he continued his climb up Mount Fuji, leading to a stern warning from authorities. The boy was discovered alone on a hiking trail on Thursday and was placed under police custody. A local police officer in the Shizuoka region informed AFP of the incident on Saturday.

The child disclosed to his father that he was feeling tired at the sixth station of the mountain, which sits at an elevation of over 2,000 meters (6,500 feet). Since his older brother had preceded him, the father instructed the younger son to wait at the station and proceeded hiking with his other son. According to SBS TV, the father was told by staff at a mountain hut that the boy had been waiting for eight hours with no more than snacks and a soft drink, and without any money.

Police officers reached out to the father, who was at the eighth station, and returned the child to him upon his arrival. The officer stated that the man received a reprimand from the police for abandoning the child. The father reportedly apologized to the police, admitting that his behavior was negligent.

Written by urgent.news from New Straits Times's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

This story

This is one outlet's version. Read the fullest account.

Read the original at bbc.co.uk →

More in World

Uyinene Mrwetyana honoured with a walk of remembrance

In August 2019, Uyinene was raped and murdered at the Clareinch Post Office in Claremont

  • Uyinene Mrwetyana honored with walk of remembrance on Saturday
  • Walk retraces her route to University of Cape Town
  • Foundation aims to raise awareness of gender-based violence

More from Saturday 22 August →