Urgent.News

What's breaking now, across thousands of outlets.

Editions

World

NATO members discuss Strait of Hormuz options without alliance involvement

BRUSSELS, Aug 21 (Reuters) - NATO's top commander convened a videoconference earlier this week to facilitate possible contributions to support freedom of navigation in the Strait of Hormuz, his spokesperson told Reuters, adding that this is not a NATO mission.

NATO's top commander convened a videoconference to discuss possible contributions to support freedom of navigation in the Strait of Hormuz without involving the alliance directly. The meeting, hosted by Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe, brought together NATO allies at the chief of defence level to facilitate their potential contributions.

However, NATO explicitly stated that this is not a NATO mission, emphasizing their unique strengths in bringing together allies and understanding their capabilities. France and Britain have led efforts to build a coalition to reopen the strait, which previously carried about a fifth of all traded oil.

Brief written by urgent.news from The Korea Times's own syndicated text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

This story

This is one outlet's version. Read the fullest account.

Read the original at al-monitor.com →

More in World

At least 4 killed, 3 injured in blast in Balochistan's Mastung: police

QUETTA: At least four labourers were killed and three others injured in a blast in Balochistan’s Mastung district, while two other people were shot dead, the police said on Friday. The incident occurred in the Garo area of the Khud Kocha sub-tehsil late on Thursday night — the same area where the provincial home minister Zia Ullah Langove…

At least 4 killed, 3 injured in blast in Balochistan's Mastung: police

QUETTA: At least four labourers were killed and three others injured in a blast in Balochistan’s Mastung district, while two other people were shot dead, the police said on Friday. The incident occurred in the Garo area of the Khud Kocha sub-tehsil late on Thursday night — the same area where the provincial home minister Zia Ullah Langove…

More from Friday 21 August →