Urgent.News

What's breaking now, across thousands of outlets.

Editions

World

Bessent says U.S. to impose ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

Bessent says U.S. to impose ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent announced on Thursday that the United States will enforce "the toughest sanctions in history" on Iran, intensifying President Donald Trump's economic warfare tactics against the country. Bessent also urged China to join the sanctions effort, despite China's initial opposition to further restrictions on Iran.

In a CNBC interview, Bessent described the upcoming sanctions as a "one-two punch," stating that they would contribute to collapsing Iran's regime. He added that a press conference detailing the new sanctions would be held on Monday. Trump had earlier vowed "economic warfare and isolation on an unprecedented scale" against Iran, asserting that the nation's position was weakening following months of U.S. military and economic pressure.

Iran, however, largely dismissed Trump's warnings, with Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi accusing the U.S. leader of diverting attention from domestic issues, particularly the country's mounting national debt. China, a primary purchaser of Iranian oil, also expressed reservations about the proposed sanctions, with its Foreign Ministry stating that such measures would not resolve the issue.

Despite the threat of additional U.S. sanctions, the Strait of Hormuz remained effectively sealed, and oil prices continued to rise due to concerns about ongoing supply interruptions.

Written by urgent.news from Investing.com's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

This story

This is one outlet's version. Read the fullest account.

Read the original at investing.com →

More in World

Zambia: Authorities Must Investigate Fatal Shooting of Former Minister and End Post-Election Crackdown

[AI London] Responding to the reported fatal shooting of opposition party member and former cabinet minister Mutotwe Kafwaya during a security operation in Kabulonga, Lusaka on 14 August, and the…

  • Amnesty International demands investigation into Mutotwe Kafwaya's fatal shooting.
  • Authorities urged to address life, liberty, and fair trial rights.
  • End to arbitrary arrests and crackdown on dissent demanded.

More from Friday 21 August →