Urgent.News

What's breaking now, across thousands of outlets.

Editions

World

Togo charges two French journalists over incorrect documents, rights group says

The two French journalists detained in Togo since last month have been charged with “false declarations” despite having the correct documents to work there, Reporters Without Borders (RSF) has said. Gaël Mocaër and Sebastian Perez Pezzani had been filming a documentary in Kara, northern Togo, for France Télévisions when they were arrested on 27 July, [...] The post Togo charges two French…

Two French journalists, Gaël Mocaër and Sebastian Perez Pezzani, detained in Togo since early July, have been charged with "false declarations" despite possessing the correct paperwork to carry out their work, according to Reporters Without Borders (RSF). The pair were filming a documentary for France Télévisions in Kara, northern Togo, when they were arrested on July 27th, RSF reported.

The journalists had valid work visas and filming permissions, yet they were detained. France’s foreign ministry confirmed the arrest but did not disclose additional information. Togo has a history of restricting free speech, with several foreign journalists detained in the past. However, there are reports suggesting Mocaër and Pezzani may be being held as potential bargaining chips for an exchange with France.

Pezzani is reportedly experiencing serious health issues that require immediate medical care. The duo are being held in pre-trial detention at a facility near Togo's capital, Lomé. Additionally, a third individual, Togo's fixer Fred Vedomey, has also been detained. RSF's director general, Thibaut Bruttin, expressed alarm over the prolonged situation and called for the immediate release of the French media professionals.

The journalists' families expressed their distress and hope for a swift resolution, describing Mocaër and Pezzani as committed documentary filmmakers who aim to tell the stories of the people they meet. While the exact reason for their arrest remains unclear, local reports suggest it may be connected to Ferdinand Ayité, a Togolese investigative journalist who was arrested in 2021 for comments made online.

Ayité left the country after his arrest. Togo's president, Faure Gnassingbé, has been criticized for suppressing free speech, and the country ranks 97th out of 180 in RSF's press freedom index. In June 2025, France 24 and RFI were suspended for three months for allegedly disseminating "inaccurate and biased" information following anti-government protests.

French journalist Thomas Dietrich was also arrested while covering elections in Togo in 2024 but was later expelled from the country.

Written by urgent.news from KahawaTungu's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

This story

This is one outlet's version. Read the fullest account.

Read the original at kahawatungu.com →

More in World

More from Thursday 20 August →