US, Canada agree deal that pauses 50% tariffs, Trump says
Donald Trump says the deal, reached the day before 50% tariffs were set to take effect, could also revive the controversial Keystone XL pipeline project.
US President Donald Trump announced Tuesday night that he is temporarily suspending 50% tariffs on Canadian imports, following an agreement between the US and Canada. The tariffs, initially set to take effect on Wednesday, have been paused for a three-day period pending the finalization of documents. Trump stated on his Truth Social platform that this decision was made due to Canada and the US coming to a deal.
He also hinted that the Keystone XL pipeline, previously canceled by his predecessor Joe Biden, may be revived. The pipeline, which would transport oil from Canada to the US, was part of the deal reached between the two countries. Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney had been engaged in intensive negotiations with Trump this week in an effort to prevent the imposition of the tariffs. However, Carney cautioned that further work remains to be done.
Written by urgent.news from DW News's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.