Urgent.News

One page, thousands of outlets. See who else covered it.

Editions

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

US President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that no talks were taking place with Iran and insisted the Strait of Hormuz was open, contradicting Iran's assertion that the critical waterway remained shut to shipping. Trump’s claim on Truth Social ...

U.S. President Donald Trump declared via his social media platform, Truth Social, on Tuesday that there were no planned or scheduled talks with Iran. This contradicted his earlier insistence that Washington and Tehran were actively negotiating. Simultaneously, Iran insisted that no such discussions were taking place. Trump reiterated that the Strait of Hormuz was open and the naval blockade against Iran remained in full force.

He also mentioned that all water mines had been removed or detonated. Iran, however, reiterated that the Hormuz Strait would stay closed until Washington complied with the terms of their memorandum of understanding (MoU) signed in June. This MoU aimed to end hostilities that began in March and included ending the US blockade of Iranian ports, lifting oil sanctions, releasing Tehran's frozen assets, and ceasing military operations across all fronts.

The MoU's deadline, 60 days from its signing, expired on Monday, and Trump stated he had no intention to extend it. Despite this, early shipping data on Tuesday indicated that only a few ships had crossed the Strait of Hormuz on Monday.

Written by urgent.news from The Vibes's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

This story

This is one outlet's version. Read the fullest account.

Read the original at thevibes.com →

More in World

More from Wednesday 19 August →