Urgent.News

One page, thousands of outlets. See who else covered it.

Editions

World

A map showing earthquake risk that was made public in 2005 predicted that the area in which many buildings completely collapsed in Yatsushiro, Kumamoto Prefecture, was at high risk of damage. The Japanese government released the map in March 2005, showing areas that could be damaged by earthquakes. The map predicted that the area around Yatsushiro City, where many buildings have collapsed, was at "high risk" or "extremely high risk". The city is located near the Shichimen Fault and the Kyushu Shinkansen line and the JR Kagoshima Main Line railway tracks run through it. The government said that in areas at "extremely high risk", residents should take stronger earthquake resistant measures such as reinforcing buildings. The Yatsushiro area was hit by a magnitude 5.0 earthquake on April 14 and a magnitude 7.1 earthquake on April 16. The April 14 earthquake occurred at 12:39 a.m. local time with an epicenter at a depth of 10 kilometers. The April 16 earthquake occurred at 1:25 a.m. local time with an epicenter at a depth of 10 kilometers. The earthquakes caused widespread damage and triggered many landslides. According to the Fire and Disaster Management Agency, as of 8 a.m. on April 21, 9 people had been killed and 1, 314 injured. A total of 5, 395 buildings had been completely or partially destroyed. The agency said that 2, 000 people were unaccounted for in the area around the city. The government has set up shelters for evacuees and is distributing food and water. The Self Defense Forces have been dispatched to assist with relief efforts. Emiko Okada, a resident of Yatsushiro, said that she had never imagined that her house would collapse. She said that she was at home when the earthquake occurred and was able to escape. Ms. Okada said that she was grateful that her family was safe. The government has promised to do its best to help people affected by the disaster. Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said that the government would do everything it could to help those affected. He said that the government would provide support to help people get back to their normal lives as soon as possible. Mr. Abe visited the affected area on April 20. He met with local residents and saw the damage firsthand. The government has allocated 10 billion yen for disaster relief. The money will be used to provide food, water and shelter for those affected. The government has also set up a fund to help people affected by the disaster. The fund will be used to help people repair or rebuild their homes. The government has promised to do everything it can to help those affected by the disaster. The people of Yatsushiro are struggling to come to terms with the disaster. They are grateful for the support of the government and the public. The government has promised to do its best to help those affected. The people of Yatsushiro will rebuild and recover.

Translated from Japanese Read in Japanese

We haven't written up this one. The Asahi Shimbun has the full story — the link below goes straight to it.

Read the original at asahi.com →

More in World

More from Wednesday 19 August →