Urgent.News

One page, thousands of outlets. See who else covered it.

Editions

World

South Korea Was Given No Notice Before Trump Announced Drill Cut, Foreign Minister Says

President Donald Trump is welcomed by South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun as he arrives at Gimhae International Airport in Busan, South Korea, on October 29, 2025. —Andrew Harnik—Getty Images South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun said Wednesday that Seoul was given no notice before President Donald Trump announced that he would be scaling back joint military operations between the two…

South Korea Was Given No Notice Before Trump Announced Drill Cut, Foreign Minister Says

South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun stated on Wednesday that Seoul was unaware of President Donald Trump's decision to reduce joint military operations between the two nations before the announcement was made. Cho informed the National Assembly Committee on Foreign Affairs and Unification that neither the South Korean government nor U.S. officials were notified about Trump's decision, which he shared on his Truth Social platform.

Despite this lack of notice, Cho mentioned that Defense Minister Ahn Gyu-back had been in close communication with U.S. counterparts regarding the reduction of South Korea-U.S. military exercises. Trump's announcement came after he cited South Korea's refusal to join the U.S.-Israel war against Iran and his positive relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un as reasons for scaling back the joint exercises, describing them as "costly" and "hostile" to North Korea, which he claimed has been "unthreatening and respectful" during his presidency.

The Pentagon and South Korea have confirmed that joint operations have been reduced following Trump's directive, with the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise, a 50-year-long annual training program, being shortened by one week. North Korea has largely dismissed the reductions, emphasizing that they do not alter their geopolitical standing with the U.S. and South Korea.

Kim Yo Jong, sister of North Korea's leader, stated that Pyongyang has "no interest whatsoever" in Trump's announcement and maintains that the drills remain provocative and aggressive despite the scale or duration reduction.

Written by urgent.news from Time's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

Read the original at time.com →

More in World

More from Wednesday 19 August →