Urgent.News

One page, thousands of outlets. See who else covered it.

Editions

World

Fear grows among Egyptians in UAE over residency cancellations, report says

Fear grows among Egyptians in UAE over residency cancellations, report says Submitted by Alex MacDonald on Tue, 08/18/2026 - 10:34 Workers say permits were cancelled without explanation while they were on leave in Egypt, though no official policy change has been announced Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi receives UAE President Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed al-Nahyan (L) upon his arrival at…

Fear is growing among Egyptians working in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) as several workers report that their residency permits were unexpectedly cancelled without explanation while they were on leave in Egypt. No official policy change has been announced by the UAE government. Posts shared online suggest that a new Police Clearance Certificate requirement for Egyptian work permits may be contributing to the confusion and anxiety.

Despite no official change in UAE residency rules for Egyptian nationals being announced, the situation has left many employees unable to return to their jobs. Mahmud Adel, a 33-year-old school teacher, discovered his residency had been cancelled when he tried to return to his workplace in Sharjah. Ahmed, a 36-year-old interior decorator, also faced the same issue when he arrived at Cairo Airport to return to Abu Dhabi.

He tried to contact his employer in Abu Dhabi, but they did not respond. The report quotes Ahmed stating that this was an abrupt end to his eight-year career in the UAE. Fear is spreading among employees, forcing many to reconsider traveling home. Social media users have expressed their fear of losing residency status when traveling.

Written by urgent.news from Middle East Eye's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

Read the original at middleeasteye.net →

More in World

Torrevieja Expands Local Police Recruitment Drive to 63 Officers

Torrevieja City Council has expanded its ongoing Local Police recruitment process from 44 to 63 positions as part of plans to strengthen the force and provide greater long-term stability.

  • Torrevieja expands local police recruitment to 63 officers.
  • 45 positions filled through open competition, 18 for transfers.
  • Council aims to complete recruitment by next few months.

More from Tuesday 18 August →