Urgent.News

What's breaking now, across thousands of outlets.

World

No signs of additional deployment of NK troops to Russia detected: S. Korean military

No signs have been detected of any imminent dispatch of additional North Korean troops to Russia, a lawmaker said Sunday, citing a report from the South Korean military. North Korea, however, is believed to continue making preparations for a possible deployment of additional troops to Russia, according to Rep. Yoo Yong-won of the main opposition People Power Party. In a report submitted to the…

No evidence has emerged of a forthcoming transfer of additional North Korean soldiers to Russia, stated a lawmaker on Sunday, citing a report from the South Korean military. North Korea is reportedly still preparing for a possible deployment of extra troops to Russia, according to Rep. Yoo Yong-won from the main opposition People Power Party.

A report submitted to Rep. Yoo indicates that while North Korea is indeed preparing for deployment, no signs of an imminent deployment of additional troops have been identified. This assessment follows Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy's claim in a previous month that Russia was planning to bring in an additional 30,000 North Korean troops to a border area in the southwest to support its conflict with Ukraine.

A military official confirmed that North Korea seems to be internally preparing for the potential of a further deployment, but as of now, no actual preparations have been detected at the operational level. Last week, Kim Yo-jong, the influential sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, was reportedly in talks with Russian officials about the potential troop deployment.

Written by urgent.news from The Korea Times's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

Also reported by 2 other outlets

Read the original at koreatimes.co.kr →

More in World

The Ministry of National Defense stated on the 14th that there are no signs of North Korean military troops being additionally dispatched to Russia, but preparations for dispatch are continuing. Regarding the dispatch of North Korean troops to Russia, a Ministry of National Defense official said during a regular briefing, "We are closely monitoring (the situation) as there are various possibilities, but at the current time, we do not see any signs of additional dispatch." The official added, "We assess that (North Korea) is continuously preparing for dispatch." When asked about the purpose of dispatching North Korean troops to Russia, the official said, "We are analyzing various possibilities, including the (construction) of a factory in Russia and (participation) in reconstruction." Regarding the report that North Korean workers are being dispatched under the pretext of 'volunteer work', the official said, "We are aware of that (report)." The Russian media outlet 'Izvestia' reported on the 13th that "North Korea will send 100,000 workers to Russia next year under the pretext of 'volunteer work'." The outlet reported that these workers will be dispatched to areas damaged by the war in Ukraine and will work for free for 5 years in exchange for food and wages. The outlet also reported that North Korean workers will be sent to the occupied territories of Ukraine, including the Donetsk and Luhansk regions, to participate in reconstruction work. The outlet cited an unnamed Russian official as saying that North Korean workers will be sent to Russia in groups of 1,000, starting from November. The Ministry of Unification expressed concerns about North Korea's dispatch of workers to Russia, saying, "It is a violation of UN Security Council resolutions." A Ministry of Unification official said, "We urge North Korea to immediately stop acts that violate UN Security Council resolutions and engage in serious dialogue for the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula and the improvement of inter-Korean relations."

More from Sunday 23 August →