Urgent.News

What's breaking now, across thousands of outlets.

Culture

Ethiopian Yomif Kejelcha sets world half-marathon record in Buenos Aires

Ethiopian Yomif Kejelcha sets new world record in the Buenos Aires half-marathon, winning the race in 56 minutes and 51 seconds. Leer más

Ethiopian Yomif Kejelcha sets world half-marathon record in Buenos Aires

Ethiopian long-distance runner Yomif Kejelcha set a new world record in the Buenos Aires half-marathon on Sunday, finishing in a time of 56 minutes and 51 seconds. The previous record of 57 minutes and 20 seconds had been set by Jacob Kiplimo of Uganda in Lisbon just three months earlier.

Kejelcha expressed surprise at achieving the world record, stating, "I'm very, very happy. To be honest, I wasn't expecting a world record. I was hoping to break the course record, although one of my goals was to go under 57 minutes. It's a dream. I'm very happy right now."

The 29-year-old Ethiopian athlete led an all-Ethiopian podium, with Tadese Worku finishing second in 59 minutes and 20 seconds, and Bereket Nega third in 1 hour and 0 minute and 20 seconds.

Kejelcha's participation in the race was driven by her desire to compete in a challenging event. She explained, "It is my first time in Argentina. I told my manager I needed to go somewhere between London and Valencia, and he told me to come to Buenos Aires because it was the best race for me at the moment."

The Argentine runner leading the pack was Ignacio Erario, who finished sixth in 1 hour and 0 minute and 59 seconds. In the women's race, Ethiopia's Fotyen Tesfay Haiylu won with a time of 1 hour and 3 minutes and 57 seconds, followed by Turkey's Nevin Can and Selin Can. The Buenos Aires half-marathon, with a 21-kilometre urban course passing notable landmarks such as the city's Obelisk, attracted about 30,000 participants on a sunny but freezing morning.

Written by urgent.news from Buenos Aires Times's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

Read the original at batimes.com.ar →

More in Culture

Lakapi Samoa CEO warns World Rugby sanctions could end Manu Samoa

There will be "no more Manu Samoa" if the government does not accept a proposed World Rugby review of Lakapi Samoa (Samoa Rugby Union) and the country is subsequently sanctioned.

  • CEO Seumanu warns sanctions could end Manu Samoa.
  • Samoan government withdrew recognition, funding.
  • Review to examine union operations, address allegations.

More from Sunday 23 August →