Urgent.News

What's breaking now, across thousands of outlets.

Business

Paramount and California to hold preliminary talks on Warner Bros deal, NYT reports

Paramount and California to hold preliminary talks on Warner Bros deal, NYT reports

Paramount and state officials from California are scheduled to engage in preliminary discussions on Monday regarding a potential resolution to California's lawsuit against Paramount's planned acquisition of Warner Bros. Discovery, according to a report by the New York Times on Saturday. These talks are not expected to result in substantial negotiations towards a settlement, as indicated in the report, which also mentioned that Paramount initiated the meeting request.

However, validation of this report by Reuters has not been confirmed yet, and Paramount has not yet provided a response to inquiries made outside regular business hours.

The meeting will be attended by key executives and legal representatives from both parties, as reported by the NYT, citing an informed source. The discussions have been planned for approximately one week, according to the same source. Earlier in the month, California, along with 11 other states, filed a lawsuit to prevent Paramount's acquisition of Warner Bros.

Discovery, asserting that the deal would diminish competition in film distribution and cable television sectors, negatively impacting theaters and pay TV distributors.

States such as New York, Arizona, and Minnesota argued that the acquisition would adversely affect theaters and television distributors, lead to increased consumer prices, and result in less competitive wages for workers.

Written by urgent.news from Yahoo Finance's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

Also reported by 1 other outlet

Read the original at finance.yahoo.com →

More in Business

America's largest association of cattle ranchers says Trump's plan to lower beef prices is 'undermining' farmers

On Friday, Trump said the US would allow up to 300,000 metric tons of beef to be imported with no out-of-quota tariff over the next 90 days.

  • Trump's plan to lower beef prices aims to benefit his re-election campaign.
  • National Cattlemen's Beef Association claims the initiative harms American farmers.
  • 300,000 metric tons of beef import permitted with no tariff.

More from Saturday 22 August →