AJK PM Rathore urges dialogue to resolve crisis, calls for end to ‘base camp’ mindset
MUZAFFARABAD: Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) Prime Minister Faisal Mumtaz Rathore on Saturday said the biggest challenge for the incoming government would be to deal with the situation caused by the proscribed Joint Awami Action Committee’s (JAAC) movement, stressing that dialogue was the only way to resolve the crisis. Speaking to a group of journalists at Kashmir House, Rathore said the current…
Muzaffarabad: Azad Jammu and Kashmir's Prime Minister Faisal Mumtaz Rathore emphasized on Saturday that the incoming government's foremost challenge would be addressing the crisis triggered by the JAAC movement, advocating for dialogue to resolve the issue. Speaking to journalists at Kashmir House, Rathore expressed concern over the current state of affairs in AJK, hoping it would be addressed post-formation of the new government. He attributed a significant responsibility to the PML-N leadership in this matter.
Referring to JAAC's demands, Rathore highlighted how the body had sought land ownership rights, but Poonch had been denied representation. Rathore had previously assured the committee of abolishing four refugee seats, but the committee's leaders refused his advice, keeping eight seats intact. Rathore threatened to move to Rawalakot if the action committee had even hinted at accepting his proposal.
The premier endorsed PPP Chairman Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari's proposal to establish a truth and reconciliation commission, asserting it could help resolve the crisis. On June 5, the AJK government declared the JAAC a proscribed organization, placing it under the state's anti-terrorism act. The move resulted in the arrest of several JAAC leaders and activists across the region.
Rathore also criticized the PML-N for rushing into the regional elections, claiming that the party's focus should have been on restoring peace before holding elections. He alleged that the PML-N resorted to various tactics to ensure their victory in the elections. Regarding the election results, Rathore accused the PPP of not being provided a level playing field and alleged that some constituencies with initial PPP wins turned into defeats due to unfair means.
Defending the recent elections in his constituency, LA-17, Rathore pointed out that Haveli was the only area where no rigging occurred. He rejected allegations of government interference, stating that the PPP did not interfere in the electoral process. The premier regretted that Haveli's results had been overly emphasized, noting that the 2026 polls had been peaceful, in contrast to previous years marked by tension and violence.
Written by urgent.news from Dawn - Pakistan's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.
This story
This is one outlet's version. Read the fullest account.