Urgent.News

What's breaking now, across thousands of outlets.

Editions

Business

'Private sector should take lead in urban renewal'

The private market’s ability to redevelop Hong Kong’s ageing residential stock far exceeds that of the Urban Renewal Authority (URA), a development official said on Friday as she detailed the government’s strategy to unlock greater market participation in urban renewal. Speaking on an RTHK radio programme, Permanent Secretary for Development (Planning and Lands) Doris Ho said that the private…

The government believes the private sector can lead urban renewal efforts in Hong Kong, a development official suggested on a radio show. Doris Ho, Permanent Secretary for Development (Planning and Lands), pointed out that private developers have typically built about 80% of new residential units from redevelopment projects, while the Urban Renewal Authority (URA) contributes only the remaining 20%.

To stimulate market participation, Ho proposed the government's upcoming Bonus Plot Ratio Pilot Scheme, set to begin in September. This initiative offers an extra 20% premium-free gross floor area bonus to developers undertaking redevelopment of aging residential buildings in seven designated old districts. Ho expressed confidence that this incentive would make previously unprofitable projects financially viable.

According to the URA's analysis, in densely populated areas like Mong Kok and Yau Ma Tei, 90% of potential redevelopment projects are not attractive enough to developers without such a boost. The scheme provides developers the option to apply the bonus directly on-site or convert it into cash-equivalent value, which can be used to offset land premiums for land exchanges or reduce premiums when bidding for government sites.

Ho emphasized the scheme's flexibility and pledged to review its performance within one to two years.

Written by urgent.news from RTHK News's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

Also reported by 1 other outlet

Read the original at news.rthk.hk →

More in Business

White House accuses Malaysia, Indonesia of helping China evade US tariffs

MALAYSIA and Indonesia have been accused by the White House of being among more than 40 countries allegedly used by China to circumvent high United States tariffs by routing goods through countries…

  • White House accuses Malaysia and Indonesia of aiding China's tariff evasion.
  • Over 40 countries, including Malaysia and Indonesia, involved in alleged scheme.
  • Batam-Bekasi corridor identified as key transshipment center in Indonesia.

More from Friday 21 August →