Gachagua to Skip NCIC Summons, Says He Will Be Out of Country
Gachagua said his trip had been scheduled and publicly known before the commission issued the summons requiring him to appear at 2pm on August 27 over alleged inflammatory remarks made at various public forums.
Nairobi, Kenya – Former Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua has informed the National Cohesion and Integration Commission (NCIC) that he will be abroad on a pre-planned trip when they summon him on August 27. The commission had summoned Gachagua to explain inflammatory remarks he allegedly made at public forums in Vihiga, Kisii, and Meru.
His lawyers argue that the summons contained only excerpts of the statements, not the full context, and demanded complete audio-visual recordings and certified transcripts of the alleged incidents. The lawyers also questioned the legitimacy of the allegations, stating that the statements do not qualify as hate speech or ethnic incitement.
Additionally, they requested precise dates, times, and locations of the alleged remarks. Gachagua's legal team further challenged the language used in the NCIC's statements, demanding certified translations to establish the correct context. They also demanded to know the rules and procedures NCIC will use in the investigation, including whether Gachagua would be allowed to present evidence, call witnesses, and receive copies of complaints and supporting evidence.
The lawyers emphasized that political disagreements do not undermine national cohesion and integration.
Written by urgent.news from Capital FM Kenya's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.