Urgent.News

What's breaking now, across thousands of outlets.

Editions

World

Eight killed in charter plane crash near remote site in western Alaska

Eight people died after a charter plane crashed at a remote military radar site in western Alaska on Thursday, the US military’s Alaskan Command said. A Cessna 441 operated by Anchorage-based air charter company Security Aviation crashed west of Cape Newenham LRRS Airport in Alaska around 12:15 p.m. (2015 GMT), a Federal Aviation Administration spokesperson said. US charter flight repatriating…

Eight killed in charter plane crash near remote site in western Alaska

A small aircraft carrying eight individuals crashed in a remote area of western Alaska on Thursday, reported the Federal Aviation Administration. The Cessna 441, which departed from Anchorage earlier in the day, went down at approximately 12:15 p.m. local time, according to the FAA. The plane was en route to the Cape Newenham Long Range Radar site, as stated by the FAA.

The crash occurred west of the radar site's airport, the FAA added. Currently, there is no information regarding the wellbeing of those on board. Alaska Governor Mike Dunleavy announced on social media that the Alaska National Guard was leading a search and rescue operation. The National Transportation Safety Board has been notified to investigate the crash.

Alaska Senator Lisa Murkowski expressed her condolences in a social media post, identifying the flight as operated by Security Aviation, a charter flight service operating across Alaska. Murkowski, who has extensive experience with Security Aviation, praised the response from the U.S. Coast Guard, NTSB, Alaska State Troopers, and Rescue Coordination Center.

Similarly, Representative Nick Begich conveyed his condolences in a social media statement, emphasizing the gravity of the situation for Alaskans, particularly those within the aviation community. Both officials implored for prayers for those on board, their loved ones, and the Security Aviation team. This story is ongoing, and updates will be provided as they become available.

Written by urgent.news from ABC News (US)'s reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

This story

This is one outlet's version. Read the fullest account.

Read the original at brecorder.com →

More in World

The lynching of Jason Arday

The whole matter leaves a distinctively sour taste in the mouth. Jason Arday, a 47-year-old man of British nationality and read more The lynching of Jason Arday

More from Friday 21 August →