Urgent.News

One page, thousands of outlets. See who else covered it.

Editions

World

Who was Roger Duarte? Miami food entrepreneur among 7 killed in Kenya helicopter crash

Miami entrepreneur Roger Duarte, founder of George Stone Crab, died at 42 in a Kenya helicopter crash that killed seven people.

Who was Roger Duarte? Miami food entrepreneur among 7 killed in Kenya helicopter crash

Roger Duarte was a Miami food entrepreneur who founded George Stone Crab and My Ceviche. He built his career in the seafood industry, starting George Stone Crab in 2008 and co-founding My Ceviche in 2012. Duarte's businesses expanded beyond South Florida, with George Stone Crab shipping Florida stone crab claws nationwide. Forbes recognized him as part of its 30 Under 30 Food list, acknowledging his early success in the food industry.

At 42 years old, Duarte was killed in a helicopter crash near Mount Ololokwe in Samburu County, Kenya, on August 19. The crash involved a Eurocopter EC130 B4 helicopter carrying guests of luxury safari company &Beyond. Five of the seven people killed were Americans, while the pilot, Josh Outram, survived. The cause of the crash remains under investigation by Kenya’s Air Accident Investigation Department.

Duarte's wife, Nicole Valls Duarte, and their two young sons were also among the deceased. His business legacy and contributions to Miami's food scene are still remembered by those in the industry.

Written by urgent.news from Hindustan Times - World News's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

Read the original at hindustantimes.com →

More in World

A 5-year-old boy killed by Israeli forces in the Gaza Strip had told his mother that “tanks are next to us” moments before he was shot, according to an investigation by the Israeli military. The boy, identified as Laith Rajab, was shot and killed on January 21 in the southern Gaza city of Khan Yunis. The military said on Wednesday that an investigation into the circumstances surrounding Laith’s death found that forces had opened fire on a vehicle that had been driving “erratically” and “aggressively” toward them. The probe found that moments before he was killed, Laith had told his mother that “tanks are next to us,” and that she had replied, “Where? I don’t see them.” The military said that after Laith was shot, forces had found a “suspicious vehicle” nearby and that “it was assessed that the vehicle posed a threat.” The military said that “appropriate recommendations” had been made following the investigation. Laith’s family has disputed the military’s account of the incident. His mother, Ahlam Rajab, told Al Jazeera that her son had been killed by Israeli forces while he was on his way to buy meat for a family barbecue. She said that they had been driving in a civilian vehicle with a white flag and that there had been no attempt to attack Israeli forces. The Israeli military said that it regrets “any harm caused to non-combatants” but that it would not be launching a criminal investigation into Laith’s death. The military said that it operates “in accordance with the laws of war and with great sensitivity toward non-combatants.” The killing of Laith has sparked widespread outrage across the Palestinian territories. Gaza’s health ministry said that a total of 28 people, including 23 children, have been killed by Israeli forces since the start of 2022. The Israeli military has stepped up its attacks on the Gaza Strip in recent weeks, amid a surge in tensions along the border. The escalation in violence has raised fears of another full-scale war in the territory. The Gaza Strip has been under an Israeli and Egyptian blockade since 2007.

More from Thursday 20 August →