North Korea launches missiles hours after Trump says he plans to meet Kim
SEOUL, Aug 20 — North Korea fired several short-range ballistic missiles Thursday, Seoul’s military said, ho...
SEOUL, Aug 20 - North Korea launched several short-range ballistic missiles into the East Sea shortly after U.S. President Donald Trump announced his intention to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un later in the year. These missile tests occurred during a shorter version of the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercises between South Korea and the United States, which had been scaled back at Trump's request.
North Korea's missile launches are often perceived as responses to joint military drills conducted by South Korea and the U.S., as they are viewed by Pyongyang as rehearsals for invasion.
President Trump, who aims to revive the relationship he claims to have with Kim from his previous term, stated at the White House that he plans to meet Kim later this year. He also emphasized the importance of maintaining a good relationship with Kim, noting that North Korea now possesses 57 "very powerful" nuclear weapons. The South Korean military reported that the North Korean missiles traveled approximately 300 kilometers before landing.
In response to these missile launches, South Korea's presidential office convened an emergency security meeting, condemning the actions as a violation of UN Security Council resolutions and ordering heightened readiness. Trump's recent emphasis on Kim and his decision to reduce joint US-South Korean military drills have raised concerns among Asian allies, while also sparking speculation that the U.S. President may be attempting to secure a foreign policy victory amid the ongoing Iran war.
Kim Yo Jong, the powerful sister of North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un, stated that her brother had positive memories and feelings towards Trump, and that the relationship between the two leaders remains "excellent." However, she also mentioned that she was unaware of any ongoing communication between the two leaders. This statement was made just after South Korea announced that the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises would end a week earlier than initially planned, at the suggestion of the U.S. side.
The Pentagon assured that the reduced drills would not compromise the U.S. training objectives. The U.S. has stationed around 28,500 troops in South Korea as part of its defense strategy, a legacy of the 1950-53 Korean War which ended with an armistice rather than a peace treaty. South Korea's Defense Minister Ahn Gyu-back stated that Seoul remains opposed to officially recognizing North Korea as a nuclear-weapon state.
When asked if Washington had "given up" on North Korea's denuclearization efforts, Ahn said he did not believe so.
President Lee Jae Myung, who has been advocating for stronger domestic defenses to lessen South Korea's dependence on the U.S., pledged to "do his utmost" to support Trump's efforts to make peace with North Korea.
Written by urgent.news from Malay Mail's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.