North Korea fires a suspected missile toward the sea, Japan says
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — North Korea launched a suspected ballistic missile toward the sea on Thursday, Japan said, a day after North Korea shrugged off a U.S. decision to…
North Korea launched a suspected ballistic missile towards the sea on Thursday, according to Japan. The Japanese prime minister's office confirmed the detection of the suspected launch, but did not provide further details. South Korean media, based on military reports, stated that North Korea fired an unidentified projectile off the country's east coast.
Earlier in the week, South Korean and U.S. militaries had announced they were reducing the duration of the Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercises, which had been ongoing for 11 days. This decision came after U.S. President Donald Trump ordered a substantial reduction in the exercises, citing a good relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korea's refusal to support him regarding the war in Iran.
Kim Yo Jong, the influential sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, dismissed Trump's overture, stating that the reduced duration and size of the drills would not change their provocative and aggressive nature. She also pointed out that the U.S. and South Korea had conducted numerous military drills earlier in the year and criticized South Korea's efforts to introduce nuclear-powered submarines.
Written by urgent.news from Associated Press's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.