Lee says respects Trump's decision to promote dialogue with NK through scaled-back military exercises
President Lee Jae Myung has said he respects U.S. President Donald Trump's efforts to create the conditions for dialogue with North Korea by going as far as scaling back South Korea-U.S. military exercises. Lee made the remark in a post on his X account late Wednesday, hours after the allies announced their decision to cut short the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise at Trump's orders. Trump wrote in…
President Lee Jae Myung expressed his respect for U.S. President Donald Trump's decision to modify South Korea-U.S. military exercises in an effort to foster dialogue with North Korea. The remarks were made by Lee on his X account late Wednesday, in response to the announcement that the allies would scale down the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise at Trump's request.
Trump had previously tweeted on Sunday that he had directed the Pentagon to "substantially reduce" joint military exercises, stating that such exercises sent an "inappropriate and hostile" message to North Korea. Lee acknowledged Trump's decision as a significant step towards peace, emphasizing the shared commitment to establishing a peace regime on the Korean Peninsula, free from the need for conflict.
Written by urgent.news from The Korea Times's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.