Urgent.News

What's breaking now, across thousands of outlets.

Editions

World

Iranian man accused of carrying out arson attack at Dublin mosque sent forward for trial

He told gardaí he was opposed to sharia law and did not care if children died in fire, it is alleged

Iranian man accused of carrying out arson attack at Dublin mosque sent forward for trial

Saeid Khosroabadi, a 41-year-old self-described anti-Islam activist, has been sent forward for trial in connection with an arson attack at a mosque in Dublin. The incident occurred on June 29th at the Faizan E Madinah Mosque on Talbot Street. Khosroabadi, who was originally charged with arson and causing criminal damage, has been accused of putting lives at risk by his alleged statements to gardaí.

He allegedly told authorities he was opposed to sharia law in Ireland and did not care if children died in the fire. Khosroabadi was arrested following the fire and initially denied bail, being remanded in custody. Additional charges were brought against him last week, including endangering life in connection with the blaze. At a hearing this week, Judge Alan Mitchell granted a return for trial order, sending Khosroabadi forward to Dublin Circuit Court for mention on October 8th.

The Director of Public Prosecutions has directed the case to be heard on indictment. Khosroabadi's alleged statements to gardaí include expressing disappointment that the mosque had not burned down, hating Islam and calling its followers "dirty people." Emergency services responded to the scene, with over 20 firefighters, four engines, and gardaí evacuating the premises safely with no reported injuries.

Written by urgent.news from The Irish Times's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

Read the original at irishtimes.com →

More in World

More from Thursday 20 August →