Urgent.News

One page, thousands of outlets. See who else covered it.

Editions

Business

Trump pauses tariffs on Canadian imports, Carney says key work remains

WASHINGTON/OTTAWA: US President Donald Trump announced late on Tuesday he was putting a three-day pause on new 50% tariffs set to go into effect on Canadian goods at midnight, saying the two countries had reached a deal. An hour later, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said in a statement that “substantial progress has been made, although there is important work still to be done.” Trump said in…

Trump pauses tariffs on Canadian imports, Carney says key work remains

US President Donald Trump announced a three-day pause on new 50% tariffs on Canadian goods, stating that Canada and the US had reached a deal. Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney later confirmed substantial progress had been made, though more work remained. The deal would include comprehensive market access for American goods, economic security commitments, and digital trade alignment.

US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said the agreement would address US concerns related to duties on dairy products, alcoholic beverages, and motor vehicles. Industry sources said existing US auto tariffs had been a sticking point, and the new tariffs could affect sectors like lumber, wine, and dairy in Canada. Trump also hinted at the potential reopening of the Keystone XL pipeline. The Canadian government did not confirm any details of the agreement.

Written by urgent.news from Business Recorder's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

Read the original at brecorder.com →

More in Business

More from Wednesday 19 August →