South Korea minister says Trump appears to be pressuring Seoul over Iran, investment
SEOUL: South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun said on Wednesday that US President Donald Trump’s order to curb joint military drills appeared aimed in part at pressuring Seoul to support US efforts in the Iran war, alongside other unresolved issuessuch as investment. “I think President Trump’s message includes pressure over several pending issues concerning the South Korean government, as well as…
On Wednesday, South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun stated that US President Donald Trump's directive to reduce joint military drills may be aimed at pressuring Seoul to back US efforts against Iran along with other outstanding issues like investment. Cho suggested that Trump's message encompasses pressure on several unresolved matters concerning the South Korean government, as well as a message towards North Korea and a US intention to resolve the stalemate in the Iran war.
South Korea's commitment to investing $350 billion in the United States under a trade deal signed last year might be a source of friction, Cho noted. While Seoul has not disclosed details of the investment plan, Cho mentioned that Washington had forwarded a proposal outlining potential projects to Seoul. Cho explained that they could not advance the investment plan as swiftly as desired due to considerations such as commercial viability and legal procedures.
Trump temporarily lifted 50% tariffs on goods from Canada, claiming a deal had been reached. Cho also mentioned other unexpected complications without further details. On the same day, South Korea and the United States announced they would reduce annual military drills from 11 days to five and lessen some field training, following Trump's order for a significant decrease in US involvement.
Unification Minister Chung Dong-young, who was present at the hearing, believed Trump's actions indicate he is progressing towards potentially arranging a new meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un by reducing exercises that have long angered Pyongyang.
Written by urgent.news from Business Recorder's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.
This story
This is one outlet's version. Read the fullest account.
- Trump shortens US-South Korea war games to make room for Kim Jong Un talks malaymail.com
- In cutting joint drills, Trump has given South Korea’s president what he wants. So why does Seoul look so uneasy? theguardian.com
- South Korea minister says Trump appears to be pressuring Seoul over Iran, investment al-monitor.com
- Scaling back US-South Korea drills may fail to woo Kim away from China aljazeera.com