Urgent.News

One page, thousands of outlets. See who else covered it.

Editions

World

BN must secure Malay support before going solo, says think tank head

Ilham Centre's Hisommudin Bakar says BN's challenge is wooing young Malays – a segment from which PN has enjoyed strong support.

BN must secure Malay support before going solo, says think tank head

Barisan Nasional (BN) needs to ensure Malay support before considering going solo or forming a partnership, according to Hisommudin Bakar, executive director of the Ilham Centre think tank. In an interview at a BN forum discussing the post-Johor and Negeri Sembilan political landscape, Mr. Bakar emphasized the importance of regaining Malay backing, particularly in constituencies previously lost to the Perikatan Nasional (PN) coalition.

Mr. Bakar highlighted that BN must focus on engaging young Malays, a demographic where PN has thrived. If BN cannot ascertain whether the Malay vote has shifted back to their favor, he stated, they have no choice but to yield to PN in seat negotiations, given PN's recent seat victories in the last elections. This assertion was made during the forum's discussion on the BN-PN alliance's dynamics.

The Negeri Sembilan election, a significant event where BN and PN collaborated, resulted in the coalition securing 18 parliamentary seats and 7 state assembly seats, a combination sufficient to form a two-thirds majority government. This marked the first time the BN-PN alliance achieved such a dominant outcome, with both parties urging their supporters and members to vote for each other's candidates.

Furthermore, Mr. Bakar pointed out that Pakatan Harapan (PH), BN's ally in the federal unity government, poses a liability as Malay-Muslim sentiment intensifies. While PH and BN have formed a united government, his concerns stem from the perceived weaknesses in voter transferability between the two factions.

Written by urgent.news from Free Malaysia Today's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

This story

This is one outlet's version. Read the fullest account.

Read the original at freemalaysiatoday.com →

More in World

The world's first 'space telescope rescue mission' has failed. The US National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) announced on the 24th that it had given up on the 'Servicing Mission 4' to rescue the Hubble Space Telescope. The 'Servicing Mission 4' was a spacewalk repair mission that was launched on December 19 last year. The space shuttle Endeavour carrying a crew of seven astronauts, including veteran astronaut Joe Gibbs, who had previously performed spacewalk repairs on the Hubble Space Telescope four times, was dispatched. However, on the 24th, NASA announced that due to a malfunction in the shuttle's robotic arm, the mission had failed. The robotic arm, which was crucial for capturing the Hubble Space Telescope, had malfunctioned, making it impossible to approach the telescope. As a result, the seven astronauts on board, including Joe Gibbs, were forced to return to Earth without completing the rescue mission. The Hubble Space Telescope, launched in 1990, has been in operation for 16 years, exceeding its initial planned lifespan of 15 years. NASA had planned to extend its lifespan through this rescue mission. However, with this failure, the Hubble Space Telescope's future operations have become uncertain. The European Space Agency's (ESA) 'Gaia' spacecraft and NASA's 'James Webb Space Telescope' are scheduled to be launched in 2013 and 2014, respectively. These next-generation space telescopes are expected to replace the Hubble Space Telescope. However, there is still a possibility that the Hubble Space Telescope may continue to operate. NASA plans to closely monitor the situation and make a final decision on the future of the Hubble Space Telescope.

More from Wednesday 19 August →