Seahawks cornerback Devon Witherspoon says his lucrative new contract won’t change him
Renton, Wash. (AP) — The Seattle Seahawks and cornerback Devon Witherspoon reached a four-year contract extension worth $132 million on Monday, with $101 million guaranteed. The 25-year-old cornerback, who signed as the NFL's highest-paid cornerback, stated that the lucrative new deal will not alter his frugal nature. "I'm cheap with it now, don't ever get that confused," Witherspoon said.
"I'll always be cheap with it, but I'm going to take care of the guys for sure." The Seahawks selected Witherspoon in the first round of the 2023 NFL draft. He has been a Pro Bowl selection in each of his three seasons and was a second-team All-Pro last year, appearing in all three of Seattle's playoff games during their Super Bowl run.
Witherspoon has made 249 tackles, 32 passes defended, 16 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks, and two interceptions in 43 regular-season games. The contract extension came shortly after Seattle exercised the fifth-year option on Witherspoon. Seattle also signed wide receiver Jaxon Smith-Njigba to a four-year, $168.8 million deal with $120 million guaranteed.
Both players were selected in the first round of the 2023 NFL draft. Witherspoon expressed his gratitude for the commitment from the Seahawks and his teammates, emphasizing that the money won't change him or add pressure.
Written by urgent.news from Winnipeg Free Press's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.