India's Tata Sons adjourns annual shareholder meeting days after chairman exit, source says
India’s Tata Sons has adjourned its annual general meeting that was scheduled for August 18, a source with direct knowledge of the matter told Reuters on Tuesday. The postponement comes days after Chairman N. Chandrasekaran said he would not seek reappointment when his term ends in February 2027, following months of disagreements with Tata Trusts, the group holding company Tata Sons’ controlling…
India's Tata Sons has postponed its annual shareholder meeting, scheduled for August 18, according to a source familiar with the situation. This decision came shortly after Chairman N. Chandrasekaran announced that he would not seek reappointment when his term expires in February 2027. Disagreements between Tata Sons and Tata Trusts, the group's controlling shareholder, have been ongoing for months.
In response to Chandrasekaran's decision to step down, Tata Sons' shares experienced a decline. The selection committee, established by Tata Trusts last week, is now tasked with recommending a successor for Tata Sons. It is important to note that Tata Trusts, which holds a controlling stake in the conglomerate, appoints one-third of its directors, with veto power over significant decisions.
Tata Sons and its chairman, Noel Tata, are currently facing pressure from minority shareholder Shapoorji Pallonji Group to consider a public listing. However, both Tata Trusts and Noel Tata are anticipated to wield considerable influence over this matter. The succession process for Tata Sons, a 158-year-old conglomerate with a combined market value of approximately $277 billion, represents a crucial decision for the company.
Written by urgent.news from Business Recorder's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.