Urgent.News

One page, thousands of outlets. See who else covered it.

Editions

Culture

FIFA sacks top official after Infantino criticism

FIFA’s Chief Operating Officer, Kevin Lamour, has been sacked after publicly criticising President Gianni Infantino. Learn more about the FIFA official sac Read More: https://punchng.com/fifa-sacks-top-official-after-infantino-criticism/

FIFA sacks top official after Infantino criticism

FIFA's Chief Operating Officer, Kevin Lamour, has been sacked. According to a FIFA spokesperson, "the working relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour as FIFA's Chief Operating Officer has ended on 17 August 2026." The spokesperson added that FIFA "thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future."

Lamour's departure comes after he publicly criticised FIFA President Gianni Infantino's plan to sell a stake in the commercial rights of the World Cup and other tournaments. According to Business Recorder, Lamour described the proposal as "the project of one person" and said FIFA staff had been "deceived" over the plan. He also stated that the mission of FIFA employees was "to serve football, not to serve the personal interests of a person".

Lamour joined FIFA's senior leadership group in November 2024, having previously been part of Infantino's inner circle during his successful campaign to become FIFA president in 2016. Yahoo Sports and Adom Online reported that FIFA's staff were informed of the news in an email by its secretary general Mattias Grafstrom on Monday evening, who told them the organisation and Lamour had "agreed to part ways".

Brief written by urgent.news from Punch, Business Recorder, Yahoo Sports, Adom Online, The National UAE — 5 reports on this story. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

This story

This is one outlet's version. Read the fullest account.

Read the original at punchng.com →

More in Culture

More from Tuesday 18 August →