Trump seeks to scale back joint drills in bid to lure Kim back to talks, experts say
U.S. President Donald Trump’s order to scale back joint military exercises with South Korea could be an attempt to bring North Korean leader Kim Jong-un back to the negotiating table, experts said Monday. Trump said Sunday that the exercises were costly and sent an "inappropriate and hostile signal" to North Korea, citing his "very good relationship" with Kim and claiming Pyongyang "has been…
U.S. President Donald Trump has directed a reduction in joint military exercises with South Korea, according to experts, in a bid to re-engage with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, the source indicates. Trump argued that these exercises were expensive and conveyed an inappropriate and hostile message to North Korea, citing his positive relationship with Kim and asserting that the latter had been unthreatening and respectful during his tenure.
As the Ulchi Freedom Shield (UFS) was already slated to commence the following day, Trump instructed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to substantially diminish the annual exercise, as reported on Monday. The directive represents Trump's first attempt to scale back joint drills since the onset of his second term. During his initial term, following their June 2018 summit in Singapore, Trump referred to joint military exercises as well.
Written by urgent.news from The Korea Times's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.
This story
This is one outlet's version. Read the fullest account.
- Trump orders Pentagon to scale back joint exercises with South Korea mainichi.jp
- Trump seeks to scale back joint drills in bid to lure Kim back to talks, experts say koreatimes.co.kr
- PM Shehbaz praises Trump support for Makkah Joint defence pact dailytimes.com.pk
- US and South Korea begin military drills despite Trump call to scale back france24.com
- Trump orders Pentagon to scale back joint exercises with South Korea npr.org