Urgent.News

One page, thousands of outlets. See who else covered it.

Editions

AI

Sainsbury’s store pauses AI scanning after false shoplifting accusation

Supermarket chain says ‘human error’, not its Facewatch technology, to blame for ejecting a customer Sainsbury’s has paused the use of AI face scanning in one of its stores after a customer was wrongly identified as a shoplifter and ejected from the shop. “I was embarrassed, mortified even, and felt quite humiliated and powerless,” Matt Arnold, 46, said of his ordeal. Continue reading...

Sainsbury’s store pauses AI scanning after false shoplifting accusation

Sainsbury’s has temporarily halted the use of its Facewatch AI scanning technology in one of its East London stores following a false accusation of shoplifting. The incident occurred in the store located in East Dulwich, where 46-year-old customer Matt Arnold was incorrectly identified as a shoplifter and asked to leave the premises.

Arnold, a comedy promoter, had been purchasing supplies for an upcoming standup event at a nearby football club. He expressed feeling embarrassed and humiliated by the experience, stating that he stood his ground and demanded to leave. The managers involved in the ordeal acknowledged they had relied blindly on the machine’s orders without considering the context of the situation.

Sainsbury’s has apologized to Arnold and has suspended the use of the Facewatch technology in the East Dulwich store while an investigation is conducted. The supermarket chain asserts that the technology has a 99.98% accuracy rate and that every match is reviewed by a trained manager. However, Arnold remains skeptical and is concerned about the broader implications of AI being used in society.

He worries about the potential for false accusations, particularly for vulnerable individuals with mental health issues like anxiety, and the damaging effect on confidence, especially for younger or less assertive individuals.

The Facewatch company also denied any wrongdoing, stating that while the correct alert was sent to the retailer, human error in the store's handling led to the incident. They added that suspending the store was a precautionary measure to prevent further alerts and allow staff additional training. Despite the denial of fault, Arnold and others are calling for a thorough review of the technology and its implementation, as similar false accusations have occurred in other retailers, including Home Bargains and B&M stores.

Sainsbury’s maintains that the incident was caused by human error and not the technology itself, but the concerned customer and the company behind the AI system are urging a more cautious approach to the use of facial recognition in public spaces.

Written by urgent.news from Guardian Technology's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

This story

This is one outlet's version. Read the fullest account.

Read the original at theguardian.com →

More in AI

More from Monday 17 August →