Urgent.News

One page, thousands of outlets. See who else covered it.

Editions

Culture

Rats, flies and greasy floors | Inside Mumbai's famed restaurants crackdown

Food safety inspectors in Mumbai have launched a rigorous campaign against hygiene violations, resulting in the closure of popular eateries.

Rats, flies and greasy floors | Inside Mumbai's famed restaurants crackdown

Mumbai’s food safety authorities have launched a sweeping crackdown on restaurants, discovering unsanitary conditions at two renowned establishments. Inspectors found rats, flies, and expired flavoring agents at a dessert parlour, while another celebrated restaurant storing meat in filthy containers, had greasy floors, and open windows.

As a result, both eateries were ordered to close. The new head of Maharashtra state’s food safety regulator, Tukaram Mundhe, has been leading the campaign, emphasizing that establishments abiding by the law should not fear repercussions. In July alone, his office inspected nearly 900 businesses, temporarily suspending over 100 licenses.

The campaign has targeted top eateries, luxury hotels, and canteens at elite institutions, including the Cricket Club of India. Mundhe, with a significant social media following, believes many restaurant owners lack knowledge of basic food safety rules. India has a robust food safety framework on paper, but enforcement remains weak, with roughly one in six food samples tested by the federal regulator failing to meet key standards.

Despite facing resistance from industry lobby groups, Mundhe remains committed to the overhaul, acknowledging the structural challenges and the need for more personnel to address India’s food safety issues effectively.

Written by urgent.news from IOL's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

Read the original at iol.co.za →

More in Culture

Semenyo says Cape Verde’s World Cup success was no surprise

Ghana and Manchester City forward Antoine Semenyo says Cape Verde’s impressive run at the 2026 FIFA World Cup did not surprise African players who had previously faced the island nation.

  • Antoine Semenyo states Cape Verde's World Cup success was expected.
  • Nine out of ten African nations advanced to knockout stages.
  • Cape Verde's progress boosts African football's global perception.

More from Monday 17 August →