Urgent.News

One page, thousands of outlets. See who else covered it.

Editions

World

18 Journalists, Two Drivers Attacked in Two Months, MCK Says

The council said at least 18 journalists and two drivers from different media houses had been assaulted and injured over the past two months, warning that the escalating attacks posed a serious threat to media freedom and democracy ahead of the 2027 General Election.

Nairobi, Kenya - The Media Council of Kenya (MCK) has called for urgent investigation and prosecution of those responsible for a series of attacks against journalists over the past two months, ahead of the 2027 General Election. At least 18 journalists and two drivers from various media houses have been assaulted, with equipment destroyed and online harassment reported.

MCK expressed concern over the lack of action by authorities, stating that the attacks pose a significant threat to media freedom and democracy. The council cited recent incidents during a rally in Homa Bay and on August 12, as part of a broader pattern of assaults across the country. MCK documented the cases and submitted them to the Inspector General of Police, the Independent Policing Oversight Authority, and the Director of Public Prosecutions for investigation.

However, little progress has been made in holding perpetrators accountable. The council warned that attacks against journalists violate constitutional rights, and urged security agencies to end impunity and ensure justice is served, warning that failure to act could embolden further attacks and undermine the public's right to information.

Written by urgent.news from Capital FM Kenya's reporting — not their text. Machine-written — may contain errors; check the original before relying on it.

Read the original at capitalfm.africa →

More in World

More from Monday 17 August →