{
  "id": 2811990,
  "title": "Former world champion boxer Zolani Tete shot and killed in South Africa",
  "url": "https://urgent.news/2026/08/23/former-world-champion-boxer-zolani-tete-shot-and-killed-in-south",
  "topic": "world",
  "section": "World",
  "published": "2026-08-23T14:30:54.000Z",
  "source": {
    "name": "The Island Sri Lanka",
    "slug": "the-island-sri-lanka",
    "url": "http://island.lk/former-world-champion-boxer-zolani-tete-shot-and-killed-in-south-africa/"
  },
  "original_language": "en",
  "account": "Former world champion boxer Zolani Tete was shot and killed at his residence in South Africa, according to government officials. Gayton McKenzie, South Africa’s sports, arts and culture minister, announced the tragic news on Friday evening. The 38-year-old Tete was killed in his car, and a 27-year-old woman who was with him was also shot multiple times and is currently in the hospital.\n\nTete held world title belts in the WBF flyweight category from 2007 to 2008 and the WBO bantamweight title in 2017 and 2019. He was ambushed by two armed suspects wearing balaclavas while waiting for his residence's gate to open. The shooting took place in Mdantsane, Eastern Cape.\n\nTete's career began to take off in 2014 when he defeated Teiru Kinoshita on points in Japan, securing the IBF junior-bantamweight world title. He went on to capture the WBO interim title before becoming a recognized world champion. His first world title fight saw him record an 11-second knockout with the first punch he threw against Siboniso Gonya – the fastest knockout in a world-title fight.\n\nTete's professional career ended in July 2022 with 29 victories, including 22 knockouts, four defeats, and one no contest. He had been working towards a comeback following a positive test for stanozolol, which led to a four-year suspension that expired in July. Despite denying knowingly taking the banned substance, Tete was eager to return to the sport.",
  "summary": "Former world champion boxer Zolani Tete has been shot and killed at his home in South Africa, government officials have said. Gayton McKenzie, South Africa’s sports, arts and culture minister, said late on Friday that the 38-year-old Tete was killed in his car and that a 27-year-old woman who was in the vehicle with him […]",
  "key_points": [],
  "editors_take": null,
  "illustration": null,
  "coverage": {
    "outlets": 5,
    "also_reported_by": [
      {
        "outlet": "ABC News",
        "title": "Breaking: Zolani Tete shot dead outside his home in South Africa",
        "url": "https://urgent.news/2026/08/22/breaking-zolani-tete-shot-dead-outside-his-home-in-south-africa",
        "published": "2026-08-22T09:46:29.000Z"
      },
      {
        "outlet": "Al Jazeera",
        "title": "Former world champion boxer Zolani Tete shot and killed in South Africa",
        "url": "https://urgent.news/2026/08/22/former-world-champion-boxer-zolani-tete-shot-and-killed-in-south",
        "published": "2026-08-22T09:51:50.000Z"
      },
      {
        "outlet": "SABC News",
        "title": "Zolani Tete’s family devastated by his murder",
        "url": "https://urgent.news/2026/08/22/zolani-tetes-family-devastated-by-his-murder",
        "published": "2026-08-22T11:31:45.000Z"
      },
      {
        "outlet": "IOL",
        "title": "No arrests made in Zolani Tete murder case, Eastern Cape police confirm",
        "url": "https://urgent.news/2026/08/22/no-arrests-made-in-zolani-tete-murder-case-eastern-cape-police-confirm",
        "published": "2026-08-22T14:03:00.000Z"
      }
    ]
  },
  "ai_generated": true,
  "disclaimer": "Summaries, key points and the editor’s take are written by software from other outlets’ reporting and may contain errors — always check the linked original."
}