{
  "id": 2706285,
  "title": "Ford stands by Carney’s decision to walk away from ‘bad deal’ with the U.S.",
  "url": "https://urgent.news/2026/08/22/ford-stands-by-carneys-decision-to-walk-away-from-bad-deal-with-the-u",
  "topic": "world",
  "section": "World",
  "published": "2026-08-22T16:58:36.000Z",
  "source": {
    "name": "CityNews",
    "slug": "citynews",
    "url": "https://toronto.citynews.ca/2026/08/22/ford-stands-by-carneys-decision-to-walk-away-from-bad-deal-with-the-u-s/"
  },
  "original_language": "en",
  "account": "Premier Doug Ford has expressed his support for Prime Minister Mark Carney's decision to withdraw from a trade agreement with the United States, calling it a \"bad deal.\" Ford described Carney as being in a \"difficult position\" but commended him for walking away from the trade talks. Ford, who had previously criticized the agreement, stated that it would have long-lasting and negative consequences for Ontario's auto and steel sectors. The premier urged Carney to consider implementing strategic tariffs on imports from states that support the current administration, including Alabama, Florida, Texas, and Wisconsin. Ford also suggested leveraging critical assets such as electricity and minerals in trade negotiations. Despite acknowledging the potential economic pain, Ford expressed confidence in Ontario's strong, diversified economy, citing recent job growth. The premier encouraged other provincial leaders to remain united in their approach to the Trump administration, likening Trump to a schoolyard bully and vowing to fight back against his policies.",
  "summary": "Premier Doug Ford says he stands by Prime Minister Mark Carney and his decision to walk away from what he said was a “bad deal” for Ontario’s auto and steel sector. “I’m glad he didn’t sign that deal because it was a bad deal,” Ford said Saturday, noting the Prime Minister was in “difficult position” […]",
  "key_points": [],
  "editors_take": null,
  "illustration": null,
  "coverage": {
    "outlets": 3,
    "also_reported_by": [
      {
        "outlet": "Toronto Sun",
        "title": "LILLEY: Carney walks away, now Canada faces the tariff fallout",
        "url": "https://urgent.news/2026/08/22/lilley-carney-walks-away-now-canada-faces-the-tariff-fallout",
        "published": "2026-08-22T19:15:39.000Z"
      },
      {
        "outlet": "Global News",
        "title": "Canadian premiers appear to back Carney’s decision to abandon ‘bad deal’ with United States",
        "url": "https://urgent.news/2026/08/22/canadian-premiers-appear-to-back-carneys-decision-to-abandon-bad-deal",
        "published": "2026-08-22T21:54:22.000Z"
      }
    ]
  },
  "ai_generated": true,
  "disclaimer": "Summaries, key points and the editor’s take are written by software from other outlets’ reporting and may contain errors — always check the linked original."
}