{
  "id": 2345025,
  "title": "Deutsche Ermittlungen: Untersuchungshaft für Nord-Stream-Verdächtigen in Kroatien",
  "url": "https://urgent.news/2026/08/21/deutsche-ermittlungen-untersuchungshaft-fur-nord-stream-verdachtigen",
  "topic": "business",
  "section": "Business",
  "published": "2026-08-21T08:35:11.000Z",
  "source": {
    "name": "Handelsblatt",
    "slug": "handelsblatt",
    "url": "https://www.handelsblatt.com/politik/international/deutsche-ermittlungen-untersuchungshaft-fuer-nord-stream-verdaechtigen-in-kroatien/100248828.html"
  },
  "original_language": "de",
  "account": "A court in the Croatian coastal city of Pula has placed Ukrainian suspect Wolodymyr Z. in pre-trial detention, marking the beginning of proceedings for his potential extradition to Germany, reported Croatian television HRT. Z. was arrested on Wednesday due to a European Arrest Warrant issued by Germany. Z.'s lawyer, Matija Milos, told journalists on Thursday that his client would challenge the impending extradition and appeal the matter. According to Croatian legal standards, the proceedings—including the appeal—must be concluded within 60 days. Z. is alleged to have been one of the divers who planted explosive charges on the Nord Stream pipelines in the North Sea in September 2022. The German Federal Prosecution is accusing Z. of facilitating the explosion and wants him transferred to the Federal Republic. Z. was arrested in a tourist accommodation in a resort on the southern edge of Pula, where a Hollywood film production team was also staying, filming a fictional political thriller about the Nord Stream attacks. Director Doug Liman and Oscar winners Sean Penn and Adrien Brody are among the Hollywood stars involved. HRT reported, citing unnamed sources, that Z. had been staying at the facility under his real name as part of this film team. He was not listed under a false name at the accommodation. Information from the British \"Times\" revealed that Z. was working as a consultant for the film production. Poland had already rejected Z.'s extradition following information from Warsaw. However, Croatia's decision to do the same appears unlikely. The trial will be governed by European law, said Interior Minister Davor Bozinovic on HRT. \"Last year, Croatia dealt with around 135 European Arrest Warrants, this year already 69,\" he added.",
  "summary": "Wolodymyr Z. will seine drohende Auslieferung nach Deutschland verhindern. Sein Anwalt beruft sich auf Polen, das sich weigerte, Z. zu überstellen. Doch hat er damit in Kroatien eine Chance?",
  "key_points": [],
  "editors_take": null,
  "illustration": null,
  "coverage": {
    "outlets": 2,
    "also_reported_by": [
      {
        "outlet": "Handelsblatt",
        "title": "Bundesanwaltschaft: Zweiter Nord-Stream-Verdächtiger in Kroatien gefasst",
        "url": "https://urgent.news/2026/08/19/bundesanwaltschaft-zweiter-nord-stream-verdachtiger-in-kroatien",
        "published": "2026-08-19T12:13:17.000Z"
      }
    ]
  },
  "ai_generated": true,
  "disclaimer": "Summaries, key points and the editor’s take are written by software from other outlets’ reporting and may contain errors — always check the linked original."
}